We list some good suggestions in order to organize your excursion in complete safety:
- Never leave the marked paths.
- Study the excursion you want to do in advance on the topographic map, adapting your skills to the chosen itinerary. We recommend the official hiking map of the Val Grande National Park 1st edition 2015, scale 1: 30,000 (available for purchase in Cicogna at the Info-Point and the Hostel).
- In the event of an accident, call the Health Emergency “112”. The Operations Center will respond and alert the teams of the National Alpine and Speleological Rescue Corps (Prevention notes in www.soccorsoalpinovaldossola.it/). In the emergency call, remember to answer four fundamental questions: who was involved, how, where and at what time the accident occurred.
- If you use the Park bivouacs, keep in mind that they are unattended structures that are always open (with the exception of the Pian Vadà bivouac, for which the keys must be requested from the Park Authority), all equipped with a wood stove for heating and cooking food . The wood should be consumed sparingly, also thinking about who will come later, in order to guarantee the necessary quantity for those who will go to the bivouac on rainy days or in the colder months. It is appreciated if you contribute to the supply of wood by going into the woods to collect branches and trunks that are on the ground, placing them inside the bivouac in order to ensure a minimum availability of dry wood. It is necessary to have a sleeping bag for the night, food and, where not present, water. The nearest sources are indicated in the individual bivouacs. The availability of water, depending on the flow of the springs, is not always guaranteed.
- Do not disturb the animals, which are protected. Fishing is allowed, in a controlled way, as it does not interfere with trout populations. The regulation is available at the Carabinieri Parchi – Department of Police Department. “Val Grande”. Flowers are a treasure to be protected: leave them where they are.
- Mushrooms can only be collected by residents and owners of the land, due to local economic activities that are the basis of the landscape and the mountain economy.
We also invite you to carefully read the rules for using mountain rescue, regulated by the Piedmont Region with the DGR n. 27 – 2363 of 2 November 2015.
The 5 best excursions in Val Grande:
- A WATER STORY
- THE CIVILIZATION OF FATIGUE
- TISSUE COSSOGNO
- THE BOVE TRAIL